Community Batteries Info Session – 30 June
Yarra Energy Foundation’s Chris Wallan and Greg Hannan from Citipower/United Energy will outline this new approach to energy storage that will also help smooth the way to a higher level of clean energy in the grid, including Yarra Energy Foundation and Citipower’s new “shovel ready” community battery initiative.
An in person event for those in Melbourne, otherwise tune into Lighter Footprint’s Facebook live at 7:40pm.
Opportunity for Community Energy in Yea
Community Power Agency and 2030Yea -a budding community energy group from the Hume region in Victoria- recently launched a new report highlighting the local opportunities for community energy. The group has ambitious plans to achieve 100% renewable energy that is more accessible and affordable for their town over the next decade.
They have already begun a solar PV installation at the local recreation reserve and recently partnered with CPA to explore the next steps around community engagement and providing options such as solar bulk buys and energy education to achieve their vision.
You can learn more about 2030Yea and read the report here.
Image: John Anderson, Clare Daly and Elaine Furniss form 2030Yea being interviewed by Win news
Funds to Install Solar for Your Community Group
If you’re a community group (or know of one) that has a rooftop in need of solar panels there’s a number of opportunities to access funds to make it happen.
1. Revolving Funds – these are generally no interest loans to cover the up-front cost of solar installations. There are many groups around Australia offering these programs:
- CORENA – Citizens Own Renewable Energy Network Australia – any project in Australia can apply.
- COREM – Community Owned Renewable Energy Mullumbimby – for projects around Mullumbimby in the far north coast of NSW.
- Energy Innovation Co-op– Southern CORE Fund for south eastern Victorian based projects.
- And a recent addition with the tasty looking partnership between Ben&Jerry’s, 4 Pines Brewery and Enova.
Each newsletter we’ll be featuring a few grant opportunities that could apply for community energy projects. Get in touch if you want to talk through your project idea.
Here’s the opportunities at the moment in order of due date:
1. Stronger Country Communities Fund
Regional NSW focus, grants up to $1 million. Due 25 June.
2.IMB Bank Community Foundation
NSW & Melbourne specific due 30th June.
3. NSW Infrastructure Grants
Up to $200,000, due 26 July.
4. Tackling Tough Times Together via Foundation for Rural & Regional Renewal
Grants up to $150,000, due 12th August.
5. Powering your community
Australia-wide, $12,000 due 20 September. Get in touch with your MP to be invited to apply.
Donation Portal Launched
Community Power Agency supports the passion and diligence of thousands of community volunteers and enable hundreds of tangible real world projects to emerge in communities across Australia.
We’ve got big plans to make community energy policy and programs more supportive and bigger right around the country. But we need your help to make them happen.
You can donate here via our website.
Until next time 🙂